Friday, October 19, 2007

twirling in rainbows

I started listening the new Radiohead album, knowing in advance that I could never speak one disrespectful word about it. I belong to a generation that loved the band almost from the very first minute (that very first minute for me was late '92, the song "You" out of the Drill EP a friend of mine had brought from the UK just blew me away) and never changed my mind, not when they took a turn with Kid A, or when bashing them became oh so popular, or even when they were away from all musical things for years.
When i heard of the way the album would be sold, i decided i expected nothing less. In a move that's never been done before (at least in this way), the band allowed us, the fans, to download the album from their site, paying for it whatever we wanted, from 0 - 100 pounds. And, because I know you'll ask, yes, it IS possible to download it for 0 pounds, a friend of mine did.
Some, quite smugly, rushed to suppose that the band couldnt get another contract with a record label, after theirs with EMI expired, and the less than satisfactory for their magnitude sales of Hail To The Thief. I refuse to believe that we live in a world where Posh Spice can get a contract and Radiohead can't. If that's the case, there's something more than rotten in the state of musical Denmark.
Nevertheless, huge people like ex Stone Roses singer, Ian Brown, or ex Smiths guitar player, Johnny Marr, seemed to concurr with Radiohead. Marr said "everyone knows they can get the music online, so now let's see if you'll show the band your appreciation", while Brown thought the idea was "fantastic", and said "i'll support anything that can bring the music industry down".
For the time being, I can't stop listening to the new album, In Rainbows. Every time it starts over, I like it a little bit more, which means that, by now, I like it quite a lot. I can't spot any weak songs, the whole album has more than one layers. Listen to it, let it speak into your heart, and it will. If it doesn't, I'm here to talk about it :o)

3 comments:

Dana Dane said...

check out my friends list...i bet you will crap your pants with glee
oh well i guess its more like a blogroll and then there are more peeps on theirs!
i wonder if we can have up to 300 too lol...yuck

LD said...

Welcome to Bloglandia. The weather's nice. C'mon and sit a spell.

Daisy said...

Hooray to all the 360 Ex-Pats!!! You are now on my Google Reader!