Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Heat

It's no secret that my mind works in such weird ways, that sometimes I scare myself. What follows is an example of that.

Today, at about 2pm, while at work, I decided to go down to the supermarket and get something to eat. By the way, I bought a box of La Vache Qui Rit Light, in case you were wondering. I ate 2, and now I have tied my hands behind my back trying not to eat a third one.

Anyways

I came out of the building after about 4 hours in there and the heat slapped me in the face, like an angry drunk boyfriend who just found out I was, not only cheating on him, but also maxed out his credit card by hiring a call- boy. I struggled for breath and the hot air burnt my nostrils. Tiny beads of sweat jumped out on my nose and forehead and my mouth felt like a fire breathing dragon.

Through teary eyes I looked ahead of me, trying to unblur my vision and thought to myself "now, this is what a cake feels like when we shove it in the oven to bake it".

I took a mental note to stop baking for a couple of weeks, until my mind has erased all memory of the dreadful feeling.

And then, all of a sudden, and with no warning whatsoever (ok, maybe a little warning, in the form of paranoia) witches came flying on brooms into my head.

I thought of all the poor women who burnt to death tied on poles because some men in their town couldn't face the fact that maybe they were smarter, maybe they were more independent, maybe they were free-thinkers, maybe they were ahead of their time, maybe they just couldn't be tied down by sexist rules and rusty brains. I suddenly felt - really, right there, in the middle of a very busy street - the agony of a woman surrounded by flames - ok, I'm very sensitive to heat, that's a well- known fact to all who know me! - and the wrongness of the whole thing.
And why was it only women? Why not men? The patriarchic system of those years - and also of our times - has demonised women to the point that Eve caused our expulsion from Heaven, women were burnt as witches, women were being denied education or the right to vote, women are being paid less than men at jobs, and so many other inequalities I can't think of, because of the burning heat.
And all of the people that died in the name of a God, or of a Church, or some religion... And the people who are being denied fundamental rights, like the right to be happy, the right to share their lives, their pension, their property, to have a family, or to be equal as everyone else, all in the name of a Book, or a Church. What God was it again that made it all right to hate certain groups of people or believe we are better than someone else? I remember a God that said "Love Thy Neighbor" and "Be Humble".

Then I got to thinking of all the true witches out there. Call me a retard, but I believe in magic. Oh, wait. That sounds familiar, have I said it before? Maybe! Anyways... what was I saying? Oh, yes. I believe in magic, I believe that there's powers in the universe that are not wise to f*ck with. There's powers in people that are yet to be discovered. And there's people out there who have discovered them and use them. Some in a good way, some in a bad way. I don't think anyone can fly on brooms (though I won't say they can't, cause what if they can??), but I know that there's people capable of using energies for or against other people. Hence the positive thinking power, or the evil eye, and so many other things.

Then I went back in the building, and my brain froze and I felt like Jell- O. And I took a mental note to stop making Jell- O for a while, because it felt so cruel!

No comments: